Sew Much More Than Just a Hem is designed to give you a better grasp of your coverstitch machine or the coverstitch side of your combination machine.
The workbook provided will cover the basics such as; finishing a hem in the round, reverse coverstitch, differential feed and decorative coverstitch and chain stitch.
The last section of the workshop is dedicated to ‘focus on you’ where students can use this time to have questions answered, seek advice on problems they may encountered, and work on getting better results with the aid of Kate. This is also an opportunity to work with accessories such as binders, folders etc. Or, use this time to work on the techniques learned in the Sew Much More Than Just a Hem workshop to explore fabric making and produce a scarf or piece of fabric using up pieces of your own stash of light weight fabrics and lots and lots of thread.
Workbook and basic kit for the workbook provided.
Students are required to bring:
• Their own coverstitch machine/combination machine -in good working order
• Foot control & power lead
• Accessories i.e. screw drivers, tweezers etc
• Spare needles – the correct system for your machine in size 14’s.
• All extra accessory feet and attachments i.e. binders (if wanting to explore knit binders then please bring the fabric types you are wanting to work with)
• Instruction manual
• 4 spools x good quality thread for the work book (I recommend maxilock, seracor, rasant)
• If wanting to learn fabric making see photo above- One piece of printed or plain chiffon fabric 40 cm wide x 140/150 long, one spool of variegated thread (maxi lock swirls works well in most)and 3 x polyester threads (can all be different colours which coordinate with fabric or variegated thread maxilock swirls are ideal for this)
• Any fabrics you are finding difficult to work with on a coversitch or pieces you need help getting a better result with.
*other play items to bring from home, pieces of Aqua web (warm water wash away), printed and plain light weight fabric pieces ie chiffon, organza.